Planning a camping trip to the South East region of England? From breathtaking coastal views to rolling hills, the region has a lot to offer to nature enthusiasts. Whether you want to escape the city's hustle and bustle or bond with your family, camping is a great way to rejuvenate and reconnect with nature. In this article, we will take a look at the best campsites in the South East region of England, so you can plan your perfect camping getaway.
Our favourite Campsites in the South East of England
1. Blackberry Wood, East Sussex
Nestled in the heart of the South Downs National Park, Blackberry Wood offers a truly unique camping experience. Set in a beautiful woodland glade, this family-friendly site offers a range of accommodation options, from traditional camping pitches to quirky treehouses and a converted double-decker bus.
Activities to Do at Blackberry Wood Campsite, East Sussex
1. Explore the South Downs National Park
Blackberry Wood Campsite is located at the edge of the South Downs National Park, which offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside. The park offers a range of activities, including hiking, cycling, horse riding, and wildlife watching. Take a stroll along the trails and enjoy the breathtaking views of the rolling hills and verdant valleys
Looking for a luxurious camping experience? Blackberry Wood Campsite offers a range of glamping options, including shepherds' huts, a treehouse, and a converted double-decker bus. These unique accommodations come with all the comforts of home, including comfortable beds, heating, and electricity.
3. Bushcraft Skills
Learn survival skills in the great outdoors with Blackberry Wood's bushcraft courses. From fire lighting to shelter building, you'll learn all the skills you need to survive in the wilderness.
4. Visit Local Attractions
Blackberry Wood Campsite is located near several local attractions, including the Bluebell Railway, the Wakehurst Place Botanic Garden, and the Royal Pavilion in Brighton. Take a day trip to explore the local area and discover the rich history and culture of East Sussex.
Tel: 01273 890 035
2. Fox Wood Camping, Surrey
For a peaceful retreat away from the hustle and bustle of city life, head to Fox Wood Camping in the Surrey Hills. This site offers spacious pitches with stunning views over the surrounding countryside. With excellent walking and cycling routes nearby, it’s the perfect base for exploring the local area.
Activities to do at Fox Wood Camping, Surrey
1. Hiking and Trekking:
Fox Wood Camping is surrounded by beautiful forests, rolling hills, and scenic trails, making it the perfect destination for hiking enthusiasts. There are numerous hiking trails to explore, ranging from easy walks to challenging treks.
One of the most popular trails is the Fox Wood Trail, a scenic hike that winds through the forest and offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape. The trail is suitable for hikers of all levels and takes about an hour to complete.
Cycling is a popular activity at Fox Wood Camping. It has numerous cycling trails that cater to all skill levels. You can either bring your own bike or rent one from the campsite's office. Some of the popular cycling trails are:
- The Surrey Cycleway
- The Downs Link
- The Wey-South Path
3. Bushcraft and Survival Skills:
If you are looking for a unique experience, you can try your hand at bushcraft and survival skills. Fox Wood Camping offers several courses that teach you basic survival skills, such as fire making, shelter building, and foraging.
Tel: 07983 151780
3. Swiss Farm Touring and Camping, Oxfordshire
Set in the picturesque Chiltern Hills, Swiss Farm Touring and Camping offers a peaceful and relaxing camping experience. With excellent facilities including an on-site shop, restaurant and children’s play area, it’s the perfect place for a family holiday. The site also offers a range of accommodation options, from traditional camping pitches to luxury lodges and glamping pods.
Activities to do at Swiss Farm Touring and Camping
1. Explore the local area
One of the best things about Swiss Farm Touring and Camping is its location. Set in the heart of the Oxfordshire countryside, there are plenty of opportunities to explore the local area. Here are some of the top things to do:
- Take a stroll along the Thames Path and enjoy the stunning views of the river
- Visit the historic town of Henley-on-Thames and explore its independent shops and cafes
- Take a trip to the nearby Chiltern Hills and go for a hike
- Visit the nearby city of Oxford and explore its famous colleges and museums
- Take a trip to Windsor Castle, one of the UK's most iconic landmarks
2. Participate in on-site activities
If you're looking to stay on-site, Swiss Farm Touring and Camping has plenty of activities to keep you entertained. Here are some of the top things to do:
- Take a dip in the heated outdoor swimming pool
- Let your little ones burn off some energy in the playground
- Hire a bike and explore the surrounding countryside
- Relax with a drink and a meal at the on-site restaurant
3. Enjoy the wildlife
One of the unique aspects of Swiss Farm Touring and Camping is the abundance of wildlife in the area. Here are some of the top things to do:
- Go bird watching and spot some of the local species, such as red kites and kingfishers
- Take a walk around the campsite and see if you can spot any of the resident wildlife, including rabbits, badgers, and foxes
- Visit the nearby Warburg Nature Reserve and explore its woodland, meadows, and ponds
Tel: +44 (0)1491 573 419
4. Sumners Ponds, West Sussex
Set in 100 acres of beautiful countryside, Sumners Ponds offers a range of accommodation options, from traditional camping pitches to luxury lodges and glamping pods. With excellent on-site facilities including fishing lakes, a restaurant and children’s play area, it’s the perfect place for a family holiday. The site is also ideally located for exploring the nearby South Downs National Park.
Activities at Sumners Ponds
If you are looking for some water-based activities, then boating is a perfect choice. Sumners Ponds Campsite offers a range of boats, including rowboats and pedalos, which you can hire. You can enjoy a leisurely boat ride around the lake and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
2. Walking and Cycling
Sumners Ponds Campsite is surrounded by stunning countryside, making it a perfect spot for walking and cycling. You can explore the nearby villages and towns on foot or bike, or follow the designated cycle routes. Additionally, the campsite has many trails and paths within its grounds, which are perfect for a relaxing stroll.
3. Adventure Golf
Sumners Ponds Campsite has an exciting 18-hole adventure golf course, perfect for a fun-filled family activity. The course features challenging obstacles and is set in beautiful surroundings, making it a perfect spot to spend a leisurely afternoon.
4. Nature Trail
If you love nature, then the nature trail at Sumners Ponds Campsite is a must-visit. The trail takes you through the beautiful woodland and wetland areas, and you can spot a wide range of flora and fauna along the way. Additionally, the trail has many bird-watching spots, making it a perfect spot for bird enthusiasts.
5. The Secret Campsite, East Sussex
Tucked away in a secluded corner of the East Sussex countryside, The Secret Campsite offers a peaceful and relaxing camping experience. With spacious pitches, excellent facilities and a range of accommodation options, including traditional camping pitches and glamping tents, it’s the perfect place for a romantic getaway or family holiday.
Activities to do at The Secret Campsite
1. Visit the Local Attractions
The Secret Campsite is located near a number of popular tourist attractions, including the historic town of Lewes, the seaside town of Brighton, and the stunning Seven Sisters Cliffs. Take a day trip and explore the local area.
2. Yoga and Meditation
The Secret Campsite is the perfect place to unwind and relax. If you want to connect with your inner self, the campsite offers yoga and meditation classes. You can practice yoga in the meadow or meditate by the pond, surrounded by nature's tranquility.
3. Hiking and Walking Trails
The Secret Campsite is surrounded by some of the most beautiful walking trails in the area. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced hiker, there is a trail that suits your level. The campsite offers a range of walking maps and guides that can help you plan your route. The popular routes include:
- The South Downs Way
- The Vanguard Way
- The Ouse Valley Way
Tel: 01273 401100
- What should I pack for a camping trip in the South East region of England?
- Pack warm clothing, a waterproof jacket, sturdy footwear, and insect repellent.
- Don't forget to bring a tent, sleeping bags, cooking equipment, and a first-aid kit.
- Can I bring my dog to these campsites?
- Some campsites allow pets, but you should check with the campsite beforehand.
- Do these campsites have electricity?
- Most campsites have electric hook-ups, but some may not. Check with the campsite beforehand.
- Are these campsites suitable for large groups?
- Most campsites can accommodate large groups, but you should check with the campsite beforehand.
- Can I make a campfire at these campsites?
- Some campsites allow campfires, but you should check with the campsite beforehand. If campfires are allowed, make sure to follow the campsite's rules and regulations.
- Are there any activities to do near these campsites?
- Yes, most campsites offer a range of activities, including hiking, cycling, and fishing. You can also explore the nearby towns and villages, which offer a variety of attractions and sights.
The South East region of England offers a plethora of beautiful campsites, each with its own unique charm and facilities. Whether you are looking for an off-grid camping experience or want to explore the stunning countryside, these campsites have got you covered. So pack your bags, grab your tent, and head out to one of these campsites for a memorable camping getaway.
Remember to check with the campsite beforehand regarding their facilities, rules, and regulations. We hope this article has helped you plan your camping trip to the South East region of England.
The Best Campsites in the South East region of England are waiting for you to explore and make unforgettable memories.