Tentbox Lite 2.0 - A roof tent that is lightweight, a thick comfy mattress and space for two Boasting a sleek and lightweight design, the TentB...View full details
Roof Tent Benefits
1. Easy and quick set up times vs a traditional tent
There's no having to spend all that time pitching up a tent and nail in stakes which come undone.
2. They are more comfortable than regular ground tents
Roof tents offer great mattress comfort and the fact that you're going to be on flat surface by being your roof makes a world of difference.
3. You save a lot of money in the long run
The average cost of a hotel stay in the UK is £79 according to hotels-and-discounts.com. So just 7 nights at a hotel somewhere and you've paid out £553.
4. Rain resistance
Roof tents come with great rain & water resistance with a minimum Hydrostatic Rating of 2,000mm so you don't need to worry about leaky tents!
5. Long lasting durable materials
Roof tents are made out of great quality materials and are much more durable materials than regular tents, especially their hardshell rooftop tents. Made of vehicle grade ABS with UV protective agent materials so that you can camp for years to come.
6. You're closer to the fantastic views by parking where you sleep!
With your Roof tent you don't have to waste time having to drive to your planned destinations and get there faster before all the crowds.
Rooftop Tent Frequently Asked Questions
Camping with a Rooftop Tent does require a few things to be set up:
1. You need a set roof bars or roof racks for your 4x4 or car that fit your vehicle
2. These roof bars / racks need a large enough weight limit to take the weight of your chosen rooftop tent
3. Check the dynamic weight limit of your vehicle is greater than the weight of the rooftop tent plus your roof bars.
Then you're all set to go on your adventure
In general, rooftop tents are warmer than traditional tents.
There are a few reasons why they are warmer than traditional tents but we do advise additional cold protection like inner tent insulation for the cold winter months.
What makes them warmer than traditional tents?
1. Elevation - Getting away from the cold ground will increase the warmth in the tent
2. Thicker materials - especially hard-shell rooftop tents are made of more durable and thicker materials which are better at retaining heat.
3. Some rooftop tents are designed for better insulation keeping you cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter days with your body heat.
Consider storing your rooftop tent away in your garage or storage space when you will not use it for long periods.
You can store your rooftop tent on top of your vehicle all year round.
We think you should consider a few things if you want to this:
1. Protect it from the rain by using a extra water resistant PVC cover
2. Factor in the extra fuel usage by carrying the rooftop tent on your vehicle all year round
3. Risk of theft. Add extra security bolts or get your rooftop tent insured for peace of mind
The main weight limit we need to consider is the dynamic weight limit of your vehicle.
You’ll want to take a look at your car’s manual for the weight limit when choosing tents for the top of your car.
Dynamic weight is simply the amount of weight you can have on your car while it’s in motion. Basically how the forces affect it from all directions while driving.
Static weight is just the amount of weight your car can carry while standing still; this includes your gear and passengers.
As long as the roof bars plus the rooftop tent in total are less than the dynamic weight limit of your vehicle then you're set!
Yes a rooftop tent will decrease your mileage due to the added weight and drag from the wind.
By how much it is difficult to estimate and depends on two main factors:
1. The weight of the rooftop tent
2. How bulky the rooftop tent is when closed causing wind resistance
To reduce the impact on mileage choose a rooftop tent that is lighter than 65kg and has a slimeline frame when closed.